Fashion Classes: A Fun STEM Activity for Kids 6 -17 Years
— By JP Mathews
STEM: Effective Mind-on, Hands-on Learning and Valuable Lifelong Skills
Many secondary schools, colleges, universities, and employers today seek students / employees with STEM skills.
STEM education cultivates critical thinkers, increases scientific literacy, and develops next-generation innovators.
With the rapid growth of STEM-related occupations, experiences like fashion classes can enhance your child’s competitive edge for career success. In the meantime, STEM skills can help your child succeed in school.
STEM education provides skills for understanding many concepts that are useful in a wide range of industries.
Fashion classes build STEM skills, including experience with:
- A scientific approach to fashion design that utilizes a thoughtful, methodical, planning, and problem-solving approach with steps of the scientific method, including:
- Asking questions
- Proposing solutions (making hypotheses) for fitting garments, measuring, and resolving problems with fabrics and materials
- Making predictions
- Testing predictions
- Repeating design and sewing processes / techniques for consistent results
- Digital technologies for designing fashions
- Engineering perspectives through use of the sewing machine, design tools, and varied materials
- Mathematics, including measuring and geometry when making patterns, fitting garments, and altering designs
Fashion Classes for Children and Teens
House of Dezign Kids’ and Teen fashion classes are offered year around for children ages 6 to 12 and 13 to 17. During summer, your child or teen can enroll in a full-day 9 AM to 3 PM program. Children ages 6 to 12 also may opt for a half-day, 9 AM to noon program.